Do I need a hearing aid?
There are three good clues that you are likely to benefit from hearing aids:
- People appear to be mumbling and you often ask people to repeat themselves. They are not mumbling. You can no longer distinguish certain sounds.
- Your family complains that the TV is set too loud. It is not too loud for you because you have some hearing loss.
- Your spouse, children or grandchildren are telling you that you cannot hear. They are right!
The national data from the NIH are: "Approximately one in three people between the ages of 65 and 74 has hearing loss and nearly half of those older than 75 have difficulty hearing." Hearing loss develops very slowly from when you are in your 30s, so many people are simply unaware that they no longer hear well. They become accustomed to less noise.
How do I find out if I have hearing loss?
If you want to get an objective indication if you have hearing loss, you can take the National Hearing Test. You can read more about this test and organization here. The test takes less than 10 minutes and is administered over the phone. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with a FREE coupon to take the test. You will quickly learn if you should consult a medical professional for a more detailed exam.
If you suspect you have hearing loss what is the next step?
If you took the test and found out that there is hearing loss, the next step is for you to go to a doctor. We recommend an ENT (for ear, nose, and throat), rather than to an Audiologist so that the nature of your hearing loss can be diagnosed. An examination by a physician is often covered by insurance including Medicare. If you want to know more about this examination, you can read about it right here.
What’s an audiogram?
As part of the medical examination, you will be given a hearing test given by the in-house audiologist. The results of this test are printed out as a chart called an audiogram. Be sure to obtain a copy of the test results.
Below is the background grid on which your hearing ability will be mapped:
Source: "Audio23" Licensed under Public Domain via Wikipedia
Here is an audiogram showing typical age-related hearing loss.
Source: Ohio State U.
While this person already has some severe hearing loss at the higher frequencies of sound, a person with only mild hearing loss or moderate hearing loss can also benefit from hearing aids. The ENT specialist will diagnose if your hearing loss can be helped by hearing aids, or if other options should be considered.
What is the difference between PSAPs and Hearing Aids?
The differences between hearing aids and PSAPs (Personal Sound Amplification Product) is first and foremost legal. Hearing aids are defined by the FDA as a medical device and companies who produce them must file for permission to call the device a hearing aid. The FDA in deference to the audiology community does not permit PSAPs to be advertised as devices that can help you hear better. Of course this is all done with a wink, since, in fact, these devices have no other functional purpose besides use by the hearing impaired.
There are, however, additional significant performance differences between them. Hearing aids must conform to government criteria: they are sold in response to a prescription for hearing aids and are programmed with the individual’s audiogram (hearing test). PSAPs can range from high quality imitation of hearing aid functionality to simply amplification of the sound without regard to the user’s personal hearing sensitivity.
I hear that hearing aids are only partially helpful, why bother?
There are two practical reasons.
- First, you will definitely hear better. The first time you put on a hearing aid, it will be mind-blowing to discover that you can hear things you have forgotten about—many birds (instead of a few) and conversations that you may have sat through silently because you did not really hear what was being said.
- Second, and this is becoming very important, we are finding out that not treating hearing loss accelerates mental decline (you can read about that here and here). So it’s really imperative to get over fearing that you will be stigmatized for wearing hearing aids. Hearing aids are the new eyeglasses! People now wear glasses because they think they improve how they look! Although hearing aids are nearly invisible, people will notice how you look happier, more alert and engaged, and younger when you wear hearing aids.
Why should I buy my hearing aids from Hearing Wisdom?
There are several reasons to buy from Hearing Wisdom.
- Convenience: Once we receive your audiogram we program your hearing aids and send them via priority mail to you. You can enjoy wearing them immediately. You do not have to make several visits to a store.
- Quality: Our hearing aids and accessories meet the most up to date industry standards. (see more below)
- Price: Our prices are significantly lower than other suppliers for the same or better hearing aids.
- Value: We provide you with a full year’s worth of batteries and sell additional batteries at a discount.
- Trust: If for any reason you are unsatisfied with your hearing aids, we will take them back within 60 days and refund your total cost. If you have any questions while wearing our hearing aids, we are only a phone call away to help you solve your problem.
So how can Hearing Wisdom sell hearing aids for around a quarter of what others charge?
Hearing aids don’t cost all that much to produce. Their price is a function of how many hands they pass through before being sold to you the consumer. We deal with the manufacturer directly and they are aware that we sell directly to you the consumer. Email us at email@example.com and we will provide you with the details of our manufacturer.
What happens if I want to return them?
Yes. FDA rules require that all hearing aids be returnable within 30 days for a full refund at the customer’s request. Our policy is 60 days. Why? Because we know from personal experience that it takes time to adjust to hearing aids. The reality is that they require getting used to, just like glasses—only more so. But know this, the more you use them the better you will hear! Customers are so pleased with our products that the return rate is extremely low.